Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Stop and smell the roses

"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." 1 Peter 1:8 NIV

I think today's study is going to kind of focus on stopping and smelling the roses. I know that I, myself get so caught up in the day to day life, my chores, my errands, my daughter, my husband, my duties as a wife and mother and I miss the little things that are going on around me. I saw a meme on social media that said "The things you take for granted.... Someone else is praying for" I just kind of sat back and thought to myself how true that statement is. How many times in my own life have I hoped and prayed for exactly what I have now! I've been homeless and now I have a roof over my head, I have been hungry and I now have a fridge full of food, I have been through so many things and I now no longer have to go through them, and I often take that for granted. I will be rushing to get to the store or get through the store while my daughter tugs and pulls in a million directions and I am looking at my watch and urging her along. (How would it be to have the eyes of a child again!)  I just get so busy that I don't think about the fact that I am in a grocery store with money in the bank to purchase the items we need, or the fact that I have an adorable little girl who thinks I am the coolest person ever. I take for granted that when I get to the checkout I am not holding my breath and praying the card isn't declined, and I neglect to cherish the fact that I go into the parking lot and get into a car that is new and runs and I can place my daughter safely in the back and I simply turn the key and I am not praying it starts, or praying I have enough gas to get home. I have gotten complacent. Now, God does NOT like it when we get complacent
"You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." Revelations 3:17 NIV
Whoa! Intense! We come into this world cold and naked and if we don't listen to God we will leave in much the same way. I have gotten too comfortable with my life I have forgotten that I wouldn't have this life if it wasn't for God and his grace. As a human there is only so much that I can do, I cannot pull myself up by my bootstraps and achieve greatness alone. All I would have is broken bootstraps and nothing to show for it. Granted I should not ever focus on material things, but as a human I do. But, I need to shift my focus from "look at me" to "look at him." Because without God and his grace, love and faithfulness in ME I would be nothing. I cannot even begin to count how many times I have simply asked God for peace, and strength. Because I knew what I had to get accomplished I could not do on my own. But part of not being a lukewarm Christian is knowing that God is not an Emergency exit, he is a way of life. 
Everything I am today is because of everything I have been through in the past, and that is not only things in my day to day life or my personality or well being, but also my relationship with God. I am here on my knees and thanking him for everything that I have, not nearly as often as I should, but I'm still here. God has placed me in many situations to teach me one thing or another, and sometimes I get it on the first try and sometimes I don't. But he is still here, he is still holding my hand and loving me for who I am, with all my flaws and shortcomings. He has been there through it all, by my side. Now it is my turn to be there with him through it all and give the credit where it is truly deserved and earned. God is good, God is great and I would not be here if it were not for him, and THAT is a day by day, moment by moment train of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment